Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The HR "Process"

I have been throwing my resume out there to anyone who will look at it…and even some who won’t. The big problem is, I don’t think they are looking at it (a couple of places balled it up and threw it back in my face. I hate it when they do that). It may not seem right, but with so many unemployed candidates out there submitting resumes, getting some HR grunt to actually look at your resume and pass it on to the hiring manager seems to be the most difficult task while searching for a job. As I said before, they are only looking for a few key words and if it is presented properly, then hopefully they will find them…but don’t count on it.

I have a friend who works in HR and they told me that the best thing you can do is follow up on your resume submittal…especially if they give you a contact in the job posting. Give them a call and ask them if they received the resume you just submitted. It doesn’t seem right that you should have to do this as well as fill out your app 17 times on 17 different apps each day. Other HR people I have talked to have said that basically you need to do the HR grunts work for them…What??? Really?

Something is wrong with this process. I am not applying for an HR position, but I am gaining so much experience “doing their job” that maybe they should get rid of those grunts that aren’t doing their jobs and hire me. I have plenty of experience now. Somewhere along the way, this system got royally screwed up.

I remember when I first started looking for a job at a tender young age (innocent Joey). You would either show up and fill out an app or drop off a resume and many times before you even left, you were setup with an interview. Now you have to fight (with words and phone calls…en garde…can you hear me now?) just to get them to view your app or resume. This process needs to be fixed. I understand you don’t want to interview every person that applies, mostly because there a ton of idiots out there (including myself in that statement) that shouldn’t be applying for certain positions, but they should at least read over each resume submitted. Although if you did interview all the idiots, think of how much funny and interesting things you would have to talk about later at the bar. Maybe they just think I am one of those idiots. That actually explains a lot. Damn.

Status Update: 25 days until unemployment…still no interviews, but I keep hoping for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment