Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Taking a Punch!!!


So I am at work talking to my buddy and telling him some of the jobs I have applied for. It’s kind of secret among our group that I am on my way out. As I am talking to him, my manager comes and asks me how my search is going. I let him know that I keep submitting, but no interviews yet. In the next 5 minutes 3 other people (from outside of our group) come up and ask me the same thing…So much for keeping it quiet.

One of these people starts telling me that another guy in our group is also looking because their hours have been shortened. I am thinking, “great, more competition on the job market”. I have been looking for a month and a half with no interviews setup yet. This other guy that just started looking this week, gets an interview set up for Friday…WTF!!! Now I am left to wonder what the hell am I doing wrong. This guy starts looking 2 days ago and gets an interview for this Friday. You’ve got to be kidding me. I talk to companies on the phone all the time. They always tell me they like my resume and then give me some suggestions. After that they tell me, “sorry we don’t have any positions available right now though” and I am suddenly confused. “So why did you call”??

Look, I am thrilled that you like my resume and you think it’s pretty, but if you don’t have a position available, or have some info that will help me obtain a position with your company/client…THEN DON’T FREAKIN’ CALL ME!!! C’mon, really? Thanks for getting my hopes up and then punching me right in the gut (at this point I hear Nelson say “HA HA”). Seriously, that’s just WRONG.

So I guess I need to go talk to this other guy and see what he did and find out if he did anything different than I have been doing. Never be ashamed to ask for help, especially when it comes to job hunting. You never know what you can learn. I need to get an interview soon or my fun loving, happy rants will turn into negative, disgruntled horrors (like they haven't already). He better have gotten his interview because his Mom works there…or something like that.

Still searching and it still SUCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment